Passionate about startups, internet, entrepreneurship and media -- and areas where these intersect. I will fit best in small teams, companies that are fast-paced, build products and components as micro-services, and tend to use open source technologies.
HackerRank 2013 —
Joined the startup early. Ownership, implementation and maintainership of multiple projects and industry-defining productlines across the company. Currently leading engineering initaitives end-to-end across multiple teams.
- Coach and mentor strong engineering teams. Built, hired and managed an org of ~15 world-class engineers. Be their voice to the rest of the organizations and teams.
- Build a vision, break it down to missions, and take a data-driven approach to initiate, build and launch products and services.
- Build the new innovative product-lines. Lead and mentor the system to scale take-home tests - A system to handle scale of load from 10s to 100s to 1000s of concurrent nodes. Iterated continuously until market success was achieved and was part of more than 50% of closed deals.
- Stakeholder approach: Default to consensus-building, and maintaining warm longer-term relationships with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Oversee the DevOps and QA org, and take large scale initiatives to completion: total migration from cloud to k8, breakup of monolith to microservices, raise daily automation and quality coverage to 100%.
- Setup excellence initaitves: make engineering world-class, setup checks and standards in SDLC as a startup matures to a more established organization.
- Uptime and availability in Ops: Provide 100%, 4 9s and 3 9s of uptime across multiple services per SLA to internal and external users.
- Taken up cloud migrations & cost optimization: On a $2.5M spend, negotiated with AWS/GCP to achieve org goals. Ensure Ops ISO adherence.
- Owning the culture: launching short term teams/hackathons, driving tech-talks, blogs, and open house.
Trelby 2011 —
Noting a lack of good open source screenwriting options, I rebooted the Blyte screenwriter with it's original author, and renamed it Trelby. I implemented major UI modifications, import/export of the industry standard FDX format and HTML, binary installers for Windows/Ubuntu, undo/redo logic for the custom Text control, scene navigator, PDF watermarking, smooth scrolling, and multiple bugfixes. Currently also working on building a user and developer community around the project and taking on the incumbents.
Nexenta 2008 — 2013
Joined the startup early, among the first few employees, allowing me to implement multiple projects across the organization.
- The lead of the Nexenta Core Platform, the open source storage centric distribution by Nexenta. Oversaw development of OS, online community outreach.
- Prototyping: Developed applications, tools and technologies from ground up for internal research and development.
- Global Outreach: Spoke and represented the project at multiple conferences spanning DebConf (New York), OpenSolaris conferences (Mountainvew, Germany, France), and Foss.in (India).
- Operations: Oversaw the Indian storage business. Worked on scouting new VARs, partners, and clients.
- Web and IT: Maintained all web properties for the initial years including, corporate website, partner outreach and CRM. Implemented licensing technology and management for commercial product. (Joomla/Wordpress/elgg/php/python).
Sun Microsystems/OpenSolaris/Beleix 2007 — 2009
Served as the technical lead for Sun's Campus Ambassador program, and lead students worldwide. Also made significant contributions to the open solaris and Belenix projects
- Ported Belenix operating system to boot via USB. Received international coverage for this work.
- Served as the technical lead of the campus ambassador program for Sun Microsystems. Trained and evangelized open source technologies in OpenSolaris, including ZFS, Dtrace
- Robotics: built a prototype wireless robotic car, using the embedded SunSpots platform.
Yukti/Nirmukta 2011 — 2013
I was an organizer for Nirmukta, an organization with a focus on spreading rationality and critical thinking. We conducted workshops to figure out plans to root out super-station from civil society. Invited global personalities like Narendra Nayek and Babu Gogineni to participate and speak at the envent.